Recipe: Cook your own tasty Steak Pie
Do you love your steak? Do you enjoy steak pies? Want to know how to make this tasty pub favourite for yourself? Take a look at BBC Food’s recipe below…
– 900g/2lb stewing steak, cut into cubes
– plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, for dusting
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 2 onions, sliced
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
– salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 570ml/1 pint hot beef stock
– 225g/8oz ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
– 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Dust the cubed steak with the seasoned flour
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan and fry the meat, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides.
- Add the sliced onions, herbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper and the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for an hour and a half.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Transfer the filling mixture to an ovenproof dish. Line the rim of the dish with a thin strip of pastry. Dampen the pastry rim by brushing with beaten egg. Cut a piece of pastry to fit across the top of the dish and place on top of the dish, pressing the edges together to seal. Decorate with pastry trimmings, make a steam hole in the centre of the pie by slashing with a sharp knife, then brush with more beaten egg.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 1-1½ hours. If the pastry gets too brown, cover it with foil. Serve hot.