Recipe: Chicken Korma
– Two chicken breasts
– 200g ground almonds (or whole blanched almonds)
– 2 onions
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 2 bay leaves
– 2 green medium heat chillies
– 10 whole cardamoms
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 150 ml natural yoghurt (I prefer Greek set yogurt)
– ½ tsp paprika
– ½ tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp garam masala
– ½ tsp nutmeg
– ½ tsp mace
– Coconut milk or cream (optional)
- Place the almonds, cinnamon stick and bay leaves into a frying pan and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped chillies, cardamom pods and fry gently for a further 5 minutes.
- Add 200ml of water and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- While the mixture simmers, cut the chicken breasts into cubes and put to one side.
- Take out the cinnamon stick and bay leaves and put to one side.
- Add the mixture to a blender and add the garlic and ginger. Blend until smooth and return to the frying pan.
- Slowly add the yogurt while stirring continuously so it doesn’t separate.
- Stir in the rest of the spices.
- Add 300 ml of hot water.
- For a creamier taste add either some coconut cream (the set part from a tin of separated coconut milk), some mixed coconut milk, or some cream according to preference.
- Add salt and additional grated nutmeg to taste.
- Add more chillies if you would like.
- Cook over low heat until tender.